Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This is not going to be saying anything new...

My first posting isn't going to be saying anything that hasn't been said by many many people in the past few years, and my voice is going to yet be another voice in a throng of others. 


This one is directed toward 2 entities, those being the MPAA and the RIAA.   These 2 bastard organizations that seem to leech money from music consumers, making them never wanting to pay for music or movies ever again after having been bent over and receiving a nice firm shafting from them, in public and in court.

So, lets break this down and put it into perspective.  your point of existance is to protect the copyrights of your clients, aka the music and movie labels/studios.  I get that, people who invest money should have a right to protect their investment, and to make money.  This is what capitolism means.  I'm not upset at you for your reason of being.

My problem with you, is you have no reason to really exist in a digital era.  Your actions likely caused delays in the studios/labels for making deals with companies like Napster, like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc.  Instead of working with these companies in making legal methods of access on subscription or purchases of digital content, you thought it would be intelligent to just grab a selection of IP's, and file thousands of 'john/jane doe' lawsuits, in an effort to use them as a public flogging, to scare others into stopping their lawless filesharing and downloading.  repeatedly, you tried this, and a lot of people actually settled with you out of court, to avoid possible embarressment and heavier fines if it went to court.

Then there's the stories of you suing a 78 yo grandmother who didn't even own a computer.  then suing a 12 year old girl.  the woman who lived on a fixed income, couldn't even afford a lawyer, let alone your fines.  and you didn't seem to care, or even want to imaging the POSSIBILITY that you may the wrong person.

So, here's a bit on me: have I downloaded things without paying?  yes.  I'm sure there's not many people out there that haven't at some point.  Do I now?  Why would I want to?  I have the legal means to get the music and movies I want, through legal channels.  I have a Netflix, Pandora Pro and Spotify Pro accounts.  I legally pay for my music to stream or be stored offline and played from there.  I nearly pissed myself when Spotify was finally permitted in the U.S., and I am quite happy to pay them $120/yr, along with my $36/yr Pandora Subscription, and my Netflix account (whatever they are charging now).  Not only is it affordable, but it is provided in a way that is easily accessible over many different platforms, even streaming to my Android cell phone.

I will end this fairly tame rant, with a final word:

Lars Ulrich, you are a damn douchebag that needs to be set on fire and then pissed on.  you had a right to protect your music, but you just proved you were a complete and total fucktard.  Let me tell you a story:

When I was younger (late teens - early/mid 20's) I was a huge Metallica fan.  I bought all your albums.  I bought a buttload of your swag.  I bought your concert vids, your several hundred dollar 'vaults'.  I saw you in concert a BUNCH of times. 

Then, you decided to be a complete twat, by opening that hole in your face. and not closing it.

so, what did I do?  I sold everything I owned by you.  all my cd's, all my shirts, all my misc stuff, all the videos and box sets. everything.  Anything I couldn't sell, I held a bonfire with in my back yard, and invited any friends of mine that felt the same way to have a 'Metallica's an ASS' party.

Since then, whenever I hear one of your songs, I change the station, walk out of the room, or put my buds in and turn on something I'd rather listen to.

Remember this:  What do you call a guy that hangs out with a group of musicians?  The Drummer.  so, monkey, just go beat the drums, and shut the fuck up.

No comments:

Post a Comment